Skip to main content

2020: THE REALITY

So I was like, “Ohh, dang! 2020 is here. I never thought we'd come this close to the year. It looked so far away from 2010 at the time. But well, this is my year...now that it's here. It's mine.” 😈

*sinister music played in the background*

(At the time, I thought it was my senses playing the tune of my conquest over the year)

We came into the year through the doors of our church. Quite usual. In fact, it would have been the most unusual thing if it didn't happen like that. And another thing that happened that always happens as usual was that I got pissed at one family member just a few hours into the new year.

Well, that was not in anyway discouraging. I had the whole year to myself.

First week into 2020, I was scrolling through twitter and I saw a good number of tweets about wildfires destroying Australia. I checked the year on my phone screen. 2020. “Oga o”. I checked the trend section of twitter and saw over 250k tweets with the #Australiawildfire hashtag. And when I saw pictures on the damage done, I cried. To be honest, I wasn't trying to delude myself at the beginning and assume that no mishap would occur in 2020. After all, in the first month of the year 2010, there was a suicide bombing occurrence in Jos, Plateau State, that targeted a Catholic Church and killed three persons.

But this was and is 2020 na. It was and still is a special year, almost sacred in fact. It shouldn't have started like this.

Not to forget, when I checked through the trend section I saw something about coronavirus. It was like the least trendy topic. But trust me na, I quickly went there to see what it was about. China is battling coronavirus. How odd. Not odd that they were battling a virus, but odd that the outbreak seemed to come up from nowhere. How did it start? Is it like ebola, or HIV, or catarrh. I chose catarrh. “It must be like catarrh. The symptoms are cold and cough so...”

I think it was still in the month of January that I woke up one morning and opened my twitter again and saw World War III trending. This time, I laughed😂. Because, how??? This news was literally not there the previous day and now it was topping the trend list. It was also funny because people were making light out of it. I've found that to be a common coping mechanism for humans when there's distress. Some other time I'll talk about how humans can adapt to just about anything.

So I began reading different articles on what brought about the topic of WW3, and I discovered that the US government, led by Donald J. Trump, sent a drone to kill an Iranian General by the name Kasim Soleimani on Iranian soil. I wasn't surprised. I was angry. So much for “every state is sovereign and can handle their own affairs”. Like everybody else, I wanted to cope with my emotions and thought processes and so I watched The Daily Show hosted by Trevor Noah on YouTube everyday concerning the matter.

In a little while after the tension of war was de-escalated, I saw that the coronavirus had gotten across Italy's borders and was ravaging the country. I felt so much concern this time around. So much that it pricked my heart that I couldn't do anything about it.

Then before long the virus spread to virtually every part of the world. Conspiracy theories flew around. And I hold my opinions too. But much more important than that is the fact that people are dying. Don't be ignorant. The virus is REAL!

I began to see the reality of the year. Things are not going smoothly. Nowhere near the kind of sweetness I had imagined. Schools had to be shut down out of necessity. This month, June, was supposed to be the month I finish my university education. Like many others in this same plight, I keep sulking over it😊.

And just yesterday, I checked the trend list on twitter and saw World War III re-trending. I laughed again. This year cannot kill me😂.

But...you know what? I'm not scared. I'm not discouraged. I don't feel defeated. I don't feel denied. This year is indeed special, however we see it😚.

I know what I know. I know what I heard. I can see the odds. I can see the year acting like a convulsing child, but, 2020 is my year!

You saw it here first.

Comments

  1. Honestly 2020 is a confusing year though but let's just say the prophecies are coming to pass in a way, it'll all end

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2020 has always been that kind of year that many of us wanted, but we were just not prepared for it. 2020 is my year. Thank you for this man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? You understand. You'll get those goodies you want💪. You're welcome

      Delete
  3. Well, 2020 is my year.
    The new year resolutions are being given opportunities to be expressed,executed and accomplished, I guess I can read two books a month now..loll, with the confidence that it'll get better.
    Thanks brother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PLEASE, CHEAT!

Haa! More painful than 'shiing'* toe, have you ever liked someone or loved someone(depending on the gravity of dumbness) that you're 100% sure does not like you and will not, even in multiple reincarnations? My answer to my question is, Yes. My cousin. But wait, before you murder me, I was six and I didn't even know what it meant to like someone. All I remember is that, we were/are agemates and thus, she should have been suitable for me. And to state the real fact of things, many of you are in love with situations and positions that do not like you and have no good to offer you...but you keep loving up and are content to bask in this one sided love affair. Let's start with your zodiac sign. Why should your zodiac sign dictate how you live your life? *sigh* I'm Aries, but I'm not a freaking goat. I can't love the zodiac that doesn't love me, that doesn't want me to grow, that wants me to always please it, that wants me to remain static.

EXCERPTS FROM THE MIND OF A SOCIAL-MEDIA-USING GEN Z.

My dad called me downstairs one day. “How do you make a live video on Facebook?” I smirked. Because I was pretty sure that the ‘live’ feature was explained in detailed steps somewhere on the app. I was even more amused that even with his meticulousness and fastidiousness to detail, he still couldn’t figure it out. In two minutes, he was live. Well…” why did it take a couple minutes? ” you may ask. Because I am not on Facebook! Even with all the advancements Mr Zuckerberg has made, somehow the app still smells of musk, is damp and pale and has webs all around it like an old abandoned house. “The content of your messages and calls in an end-to-end encrypted conversation is protected from the moment it leaves your device to the moment it reaches the receiver’s device,” Facebook Messenger director of product management Ruth Kricheli. What a refreshing policy! Still doesn’t beat Twitter I’d say. Yes, I know there’s still no “edit” button, but the Gen Z gang and half the crop of Millenni

HOW ABOUT YOU JUST HUSH IT WHEN THE PROCESS IS ON?

Among the other big temptations that come our way everyday, there lies the hidden, albeit, very prominent one of them, the temptation to DECLARE YOUR GRANTS AS YOUR ASSET BEFORE THE PAPERWORK IS FULLY DONE. Yes I'm a Liverpool fan, and we just completed the greatest comeback of the 21st Century in the most elite football league in the world. And yes, 24 hours later Tottenham joins us to do a comeback and seal their first ever Final in the tournament's history. BUT YES, that inner sweet temptation to tell your haters that you're already winning is real for all of us...and there's no denying it. It has almost become like a pattern for many to have loads of people working against their dreams (actively or passively), then they begin to “shock the world” and prove their haters wrong, put up loathe-spiced “inspirational quotes” on their whatsapp, then they keep this good stint on for a while, then like the momentum of the pendulum that takes it to one far extreme and doesn